A Bible Study For You ... Us

A Bible Study For You ... Us
Join me in reading through the Bible and sharing thoughts, questions or impacts that arise from God's Word!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Matthew 5:15

15. "nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."

I have hermit-like tendencies. Many times I start to close myself off in my house, doing my own thing. The past few years everything seems so overwhelming and I want to stop all outside engagements or activities so I can focus on catching up with what needs doing in my own home and family. I don't though, because despite feeling overwhelmed, I still feel God's love and light in my life and I can feel Him calling me not to hide it away behind my closed doors, keeping it to myself.

Hiding a lit candle under a basket seems absurd. How much more absurd to try hiding the light of Jesus' love in my own home, however unintentional.

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people."

This fills me with hope. I still complain and argue and am criticized. My life is not completely clean and innocent. I make mistakes frequently. I truly feel Him working in me. I have felt that desire to do what is pleasing to Him. I need to trust more fully that He is also providing me the power to accomplish what is pleasing to Him.

No comments: