A Bible Study For You ... Us

A Bible Study For You ... Us
Join me in reading through the Bible and sharing thoughts, questions or impacts that arise from God's Word!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Isaiah 58:5-7

5. Is it a fast like this which I choose, a day for a man to humble himself? Is it for bowing one's head like a reed And for spreading out sackcloth and ashes as a bed? Will you call this a fast, even an acceptable day to the Lord?

Going through the motions, fasting on auto-pilot, this is not pleasing to God.

How crazy that I read verse five and start struggling over what it all means and then realize I haven't asked God to show me His truth and help me understand His word. Here am I, going through the motions on auto-pilot while reading about just that behavior.

I have prayed many times for God to speak clearly and to make things so obvious it can't be missed what He wants me to do. I have prayed for Him to "hit me over the head" because discernment does not seem to be one of my gifts.

I am so grateful that He does just that on occasions like today.

God, you are so good!

6. Is this not the fast which I choose, To loosen the bonds of wickedness, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free And break every yoke?

He wants us to fight against injustice. While I might not be able to rid the world of injustice, I can work in my own home to keep myself from being unjust to my husband and my children. Who know, there could be a ripple effect from what I teach my children through example. What do I want that ripple effect to be?

7. Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry And bring the poor into the house; When you see the naked, to cover him; And not to hide from your own flesh?

He wants us to help those who need help.

"Service to God is doing what needs to be done - right now, right in front of you."

I don't know the individual who shared this with my aunt, but I am ever so grateful that she passed it along to me.

Like the battle against injustice, I cannot myself rid the world of poverty. However, that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to do what I can to strive for a world free of poverty and injustice.

So convicting to me is the last line of verse seven:

NASB: "And not to hide yourself from your own flesh."
NIV: "And not turn away from your own flesh and blood."
NLT: "And not hide from relatives who need your help."
MSG: "Being available to your own family."

Truly convicting me today!

No comments: