A Bible Study For You ... Us

A Bible Study For You ... Us
Join me in reading through the Bible and sharing thoughts, questions or impacts that arise from God's Word!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Isaiah 58:13

"If because of the Sabbath, you turn your foot from doing your own pleasure on My holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy day of the LORD honorable, and honor it, desisting from your own ways, from seeking your own pleasure and speaking your own word,"

The first time we see the word Sabbath in the Old Testament is Exodus 16:23 when God first began providing bread from heaven to those following Moses.

"then he said to them, "This is what the LORD meant: Tomorrow is a sabbath observance, a holy sabbath to the LORD, bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning."

Although that was the first mention of the word "Sabbath" it was not the first mention of a day set aside for the LORD. That came back in Genesis 2:3.

"Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made."

I need to turn my steps away from accomplishing what is pleasing to me because I want to honor the seventh day, which God set apart and sanctified as holy.

The question for me is ... how do I actually accomplish this? My Sunday plan most weeks include the following: church, visiting family , and sports (mainly watching football).

As an aside, I am really easily distracted. The thought of visiting family froze me in the Bible Study as I immediately started planning visits and dinner parties in my head. Now, where was I?

Church, family and sports are my pleasures but I don't know if they are exclusive to honoring God and His holy day. Church, for obvious reasons. Family, I think that gathering with family and honoring those relationships can be a way of honoring God. Perhaps this would be a good thing to keep in mind when I am visiting.

Sports ... hmmmm ... I don't know what to think about that one. Anybody out there have some thoughts?

No comments: