A Bible Study For You ... Us

A Bible Study For You ... Us
Join me in reading through the Bible and sharing thoughts, questions or impacts that arise from God's Word!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Deuteronomy 3

I'm a little confused. It is written that Og the king of Bashan was defeated and no survivors were left. Men, women and children are all struck down. Then it is written that Og was the only remnant of the Rephaites left and they describe his bed/bedstead/couch. The Hebrew word is 'eres (eh'-res) from an unused root meaning perhaps to arch; a couch (with a canopy): bed (-stead), couch. This info was from Strong's Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary. The NIV I have as a note that simply says "or a sarcophagus". So was Og killed and the bed they are describing is his grave? I can't imagine a description of the bed he slept in being included in this manner if he had survived.

Moses commissions Joshua to follow the Lord's commands and encourages him to trust that the Lord would fight the battles with and for him.

Moses also pleads with the Lord to be allowed to cross the Jordan and enter the Promised Land. He is not allowed and blames the Israelittes rather than taking responsibility for his own temper ... "because of you the Lord was angry with me ...". Whew I'm certainly glad I never shift blame to others when I lose my temper. ("Why are you making me crazy? is something I frequently think and sometimes say to my girls and husband.)

No comments: